Monday, February 23, 2009

First Impression: Hello World....

This blog has no boundaries and will consist of my thoughts, emotions, opinions on a variety of topics.

I've been told that first impressions are everything and from my experience this old cliche' has proved to be true. First impressions are what people associate you with, its how people remember you. So it's only fair that I wish to make a great impression on you, the audience, with what is my first blog. For weeks I've pondered over what I should write about first or how I should begin to give people a glimpse of me and how I see the world and I came up with one thing. It was so simple, as a person would with meeting someone face to face I figured i should start by saying, Hello.

Hello World, it's me.

Now that the formalites are out of the way I want to begin by explaining why I decided to name my blog "po folk's soup" and in order to do that you must first know a little background information about me. I am Whitney Buckley, southern born and bred. I grew up in the small, desolate town on Bassfield, Mississippi where a red light is non-exsistent and the only restuarant is a Ward's where they serve chili burger's so good you can't help but come back. My childhood was filled with building playhouses in the brush beyond the backdoor of my home and making mud pies after a peaceful rain filled night. For the most part I had a pretty normal childhood. Although there was alot of play time there was also alot of work. In the summers my sister's and I spents days picking peas and corn and in the winters we were in the woods with our father hauling wood for the fire place. This may sould like alot of work for three girls but I don't have any brothers and we had to take up the slack besides my father couldn't do it alone. I never enjoyed being in the field or having to haul wood and I didnt mention the five horses my dad had which my sisters and i also had to feed two times a day, however I learned to appreciate it because it taught me the benefits of hardwork. We sweat moaned and complained in the field but when it was time for dinner and we had fresh food on the table it was all worth it.

No matter how long we were in the field or whatever kind of work we were doing my mother was always there with us and it is from her that I get the name "po folk's soup". For as long as I can remember every winter she made what she called po folk's soup. In my mother's words, "po folk's soup is what you eat when you have a family to feed and no money to go buy anything. it consists of any and everything you have in your refrigerator. meaning you get a pot fill with water put it on the stove and you make a soup from whatever you have. Served with a peanut better and jelly sandwich po folk's soup is some of the best soup a person can get."

If you're wondering how this applies to a blog let me explain. This blog will consist of everything I have to give all mixed together in one "pot". I will be as open and honest as I possibly can. It will be my sense of peace and hopefully I will be able to help a few people with my words.

So, there it is, me. I am open and vulnerable. Do not judge me, for I am only human.



Later Days.....

1 comment:

  1. I know about Bassfield. My mom was raised there. She and my dad are buried in the cemetery near the high school.

    It's an interesting little town.

    Dan Davis

    ReplyDelete